Sustainability is front and center of importance right now as we maintain our present standard of living for our future and current generations. In terms of constructing pavements, asphalt is the most sustainable material around.
Asphalt preservation treatment decreases the damaging impact of deterioration and aging of pavement surface layers. Treatment also safeguards the underlying structure of the pavement and prolongs the remaining asphalt’s service life.
- Spray-applied surface seals. Typically, these are rejuvenator and fog seals which are diluted water-based emulsions sprayed onto asphalt surfaces by the distributor. The seals add to sustainability by sealing pavements, enriching oxidation, and improving waterproofing.
- Thin asphalt overlays. Overlays are small nominal dense-graded asphalt mixtures placed right on the current pavement. It’ll range in thickness from ½” to 1-½”.
- Crack treatment. Once you have a crack in the asphalt paving it immediately should be repaired. In repairing cracks, you assist in preserving your asphalt surface, saving costs and cutting down on greenhouse gas emissions. Crack sealing will prevent water from destroying and entering pavement, decreasing pollution, waste, and energy over removing and replacing methods of repair.
- Chip seals. These include applying asphalt emulsion and an extra layer of crushed rock to existing asphalt surfaces.
- Micro/slurry seal surfacing. This method is like spray seals like fog except that slurry seals have aggregates blended into the emulsion through a pugmill during the time of applying.
- Surface recycling. Pavement that is degraded is transformed and modified into pavement that is usable. The benefits of surface recycling include conserving natural resources and cost savings.
With proactive preservation, asphalt pavement will decline less rapidly. Asphalt sealcoating and crack sealing require less energy than other methods and are more efficient than replacing asphalt. If you use preservation methods, you can avoid major reconstruction and re-hauls of structural overlays, which can be very expensive.
Effective, efficient, and economical, we consider the method to be a win-win for everyone. Our team at Kissner Paving does our part to protect our environment while we help protect your bottom line! For more information on our Residential Seal Coating services, contact the expert team of Kissner Paving today at (423) 763-8883!